Monday, August 07, 2006

Rude Awakening


I woke up at 3 am this morning to a sound I had not heard so close to home. A sort of gurgleing sound out the back deck. Grabbing my maglight and the .38, I stepped out onto the deck and creeped over to the rail. Before I could click on the flashlight, this "critter" not 30 feet away, let out a blood-curdling scream. No, I didn't shoot my foot.

I got the flashlight turned on just in time to see its tail and ass going over the hill and down to the lower property. Instead of firing off a warning round that would have certainly woke up the neighborhood, I just screamed back at that lion that sounded like a cross between a grizzly and a bull elephant. And then I did it again, louder. Every hair on this fellers body was on edge.

Now this cats been around for the better part of a month and my good friend and neighbor Matt has heard it several times and couldn't understand why I hadn't. I sleep pretty sound and my bedroom's farthest away from the back property, but this time it was different.

I am a hunter, and they used to say "seeing a mountain lion in the wild was a once in a lifetime experience". But there's been a moratorium on killing these critters in California for over 30 years. Dave, (a fish and game employee) told me that the population has grown to almost un-manageable conditions.

To clarify, I did not intend on shooting this cat, (especially with a .38), unless it was coming at me. The .44 or the Weatherby would be a more appropriate weapon. But if my "roar" didn't move this critter to other grounds, something will have to be done sooner or later.

This was close enough for my body.

No comments: