Friday, May 22, 2009

John Piper---No President Obama

From a commentor at Hot Air:

John Piper has been the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, MN for more than a quarter-century. When I first met him in 1989, BBC was a small urban church with barely a hundred members. It now has a membership in the thousands, on two campuses, with multiple services and a worldwide publishing ministry.

Piper’s un-watered-down message of the radical grace of Jesus Christ has not changed one whit since the day I met him. I have never met any other living person with a greater sense of humility, nor a greater, more palpable joy in knowing the Savior. He exudes passion for the Gospel like no one I have ever met.

His preaching is deeply exegetic - that is, he digs into the text to uncover its meaning, looking at the original texts (Piper taught Greek at the university level before being called to preach) and cross-comparing them to other Biblical and non-Biblical texts to uncover the author’s meaning. A running joke is Piper closing a sermon with, “I had ten things I wanted to say about this verse, but we only got through three of them. We’ll see you next week.” he preached through the Book of Romans start to finish - it took him four years.
I’m proud that John was my pastor for many years. He baptised me and my wife and officiated at our wedding. skydaddy on May 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Now listen to John Piper properly reprimand our President:

No comments: